How to Download and Install Windows 11 ARM with ISO
Although it’s not perfect, you can still download and install Windows 11 on ARM-based devices.
Windows 10 ARM based PCs were riddled with many limitations. With the release of Windows 11 ARM, Microsoft has improved some limitations as it now supports 64-bit applications among others.
If you are using an unsupported ARM-based PC or want to install Windows 11 on your Mac computer, this guide will help you. Here we show you how to download and install Windows 11 ARM with ISO. We also briefly discuss the limitations and compatible ARM-based devices that can support Windows 11.
Can Windows 11 run on ARM?
Like its predecessor, the latest iteration of Microsoft’s popular operating system can run on compatible ARM devices. However, Windows 11 now uses the new ARM64EC Application Binary Interface (ABI) for ARM devices. It helps developers achieve native speed and makes it compatible with x64 applications and their dependencies.
Microsoft explains ARM64EC and its potential in detail on its Windows blogs.
If you have an ARM-based device that has not officially received the upgrade yet or if you want to install Windows 11 on your ARM-based Mac, you can do so using the Windows 11 ARM64 ISO file. That said, Windows 11 and M1 Macs bring some additional challenges to the table that you should be aware of.
What are the limitations of a Windows 11 ARM PC?
The biggest limitation of the Windows 10 ARM-based PC was its incompatibility with 64-bit Windows applications. Microsoft addressed this issue by dropping the Compiled Hybrid Portable Executable (CHPE) for the new ARM64EC ABI in Windows 11.
However, there are a few other limitations that you will encounter when running Windows 11 on an ARM-based device. Most of the limitations relate to the software, as listed below:
- The Windows Fax and Scan feature is not yet supported on ARM-based PCs.
- Some third-party antivirus programs may not work on an ARM-based PC. You can use the built-in Windows security solution as an alternative.
- Games using OpenGL version 3.4 or higher will only work if the developers have developed ARM-specific drivers for the application.
- Peripherals and devices will only work if the required drivers are built into Windows 11 or if your device manufacturer has developed drivers for ARM devices.
How to Download Windows 11 ARM64 ISO
To install Windows 11 on your ARM-enabled device, you will need the ARM version of Windows 11. You can use UUP Dump to download Windows 11 ARM64 ISO for both newer and older versions. You can also use it to download Windows 11 Insider ISO without joining the Insider program.
To download Windows 11 ARM ISO:
- Go to the UUP dump page.
- Type Windows 11 in the search bar and press Walk in to display the search results.
- When the search page appears, search for the Windows 11 ARM64 build and click on the build you want to download. You can press CTRL+F open Searcher and type Upgrade to Windows 11 to locate all buildings. Make sure it is a arm64 build and not the standard x64.
- On the next page, click the Language drop-down and select your preferred language. If you want Englishleave it as default.
- Click on Next.
- You must now select the edition to download. Select Windows Home and click Next.
- Then under the download method, select Download and convert to ISO.
- Then under Conversion possibilitiesselect Include updates and leave the other options as default.
- In the right pane, you can view the ISO package information, including total download size, etc.
- To download the ISO file, click Create a download package. UUP Dump will download a zip file containing the ISO download package to your hard drive.
- Extract the zip file to locate the files inside.
- Then double click on the uup_download_windows.cmd case. If you see Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, click More informationthen click Run anyway.
- UUP Dump will run the script in the windows terminal and download the necessary files. Once downloaded, the terminal window will turn blue, indicating that the ISO build process is in progress.
- When the prompt appears, press 0 to leave.
UUP Dump will save the ISO to your originally extracted folder. You can now use it to create a bootable USB to install Windows 11 to install in a virtual machine. You can also use Windows 11 ARM ISO to create bootable Windows 11 USB with Mac.
Upgrade your ARM-based PC to Windows 11
If you’re using an ARM-based device running Snapdragon 850, 7c and above, and 8cx and above, you can probably upgrade to Windows 11 using the ISO. Additionally, Microsoft Surface Pro devices running the SQ1 and SQ2 chipsets may also support the upgrade.