How to Download Songs to Your Apple Watch
Download music directly to your Apple Watch so you don’t have to keep your iPhone nearby to listen to it.
You can sync your favorite music to your Apple Watch and stream it directly from your wrist to your AirPods or another pair of wireless headphones. These downloaded tracks can fill your ears when you’re jogging, exercising, or in other situations when your iPhone isn’t nearby.
This tutorial shows you how to add downloaded songs to your Apple Watch from your iPhone or using the Apple Watch Music app.
How to Download Music to Your Apple Watch from Your iPhone
Follow these steps to add songs to your Apple Watch from your iPhone:
- Open the look app on your iPhone, scroll down in the My watch section and press Music.
- The simplest approach is to enable Recent musicwhich will automatically add the songs you have listened to recently.
- If you want to select and choose particular tracks to add, press Add music. Then press playlist, Artists, Albums, or any of the options here to view the music of your choice. Press the plus (+) icon in the top right to add all the songs on this screen to your Apple Watch.
- Connect your Apple Watch to its charger for the music to download successfully. During this time, make sure to keep both iPhones close.
You can’t choose individual songs to add to your Apple Watch. You can only add specific playlists or albums. If necessary, open the iPhone Music app to create an Apple Music playlist with only the songs you want to add to your Apple Watch.
If you are stuck on the Expect screen for a long time, make sure your iPhone and Apple Watch are connected to a stable Wi-Fi network. Then open the Music app on your Apple Watch to see if the songs are downloaded or not. If they are, and you still see the Expect sign at the top of the iOS Watch app, just remove your Apple Watch from the charger and it Expect the sign will change to Updated just now.
How to Download Songs to Your Apple Watch from Apple Music
Now you know how to download songs from your iPhone to your Apple Watch. But you can also download songs directly to your watch if you have an Apple Music subscription. Here’s how:
- Open the watchOS Music app and press Library, listen nowWhere Look for to find the song you want to download.
- Press the three points next to the song and choose Add to library. Now, you can stream that playlist or album directly through your Apple Watch when it’s connected to the internet.
- To listen offline, press the three points again and choose To download. If you don’t see the Download option, wait until you see the Added to library alert on your watch screen.
This technique doesn’t work if you only have an Apple Music Voice plan, rather than a standard subscription.
How to play downloaded music on your Apple Watch
Once the songs are downloaded to your Apple Watch from your iPhone or Apple Music, follow these steps to play them:
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your Apple Watch and connect a set of wireless headphones. If you don’t connect them, you’ll be prompted to do so in step four below. You can’t listen to songs on the watch’s tiny speakers.
- Now open the music app.
- Faucet Library > Downloaded > Songs.
- Tap a song name to play it.
You won’t see a cloud icon next to the locally downloaded song.
How to delete songs from your Apple Watch
If you want to delete a playlist or album from your Apple Watch, to free up storage space, open the look app on your iPhone. Then go to Music > Edit and press the red minus (–) button next to a song, then tap Wipe off. This will remove that download from your Apple Watch, but the songs will still remain in the Music app on your iPhone.
To remove Apple Music playlists and albums from your watch, tap the icon three dots iconand choose Remove.
Listen to music offline on your Apple Watch
Now you know how to add music locally on your Apple Watch to enjoy it without internet and without your iPhone. Listening to downloaded songs instead of streaming saves your Apple Watch battery and ensures a smooth experience without having to keep your iPhone nearby.