The best GTA 5 mods and how to download them
Since the initial release of GTA V in 2013, thousands and thousands of mods have been created for it. The modding community is one of the most passionate in gaming and so is any creation from Rockstar Games. However, given that GTA V is the studio’s most successful release to date, it makes sense that GTA V would have the most mod support around it.
The only problem many gamers have with mods is learning how to download and install them to work in the game. The process can be confusing for gamers who may not be the most savvy technology. Additionally, there’s the challenge of figuring out which mods to install in 2022, nine years after the game’s initial release. Below, players can see exactly how to download mods in GTA V and which ones they should consider installing in first.
Download mods in GTA V
Before players can know which mods to install, they need to know how to download them. It should be noted that players can only use mods in single player mode, as Rockstar Games had banned the use of mods in GTA Online. If players attempt to enter GTA Online with mods enabled, they are subject to a ban.
There are several steps to download mods in GTA V. The first section of the process is described below.
- Visit OpenIV.com and press the green Download Now button on the homepage
- Open the download from your browser and follow the app installation steps.
- Once the installation steps are complete, launch OpenIV and select Windows from the Grand Theft Auto V box
- Enter the file path for the GTA V game directory (should look like: C:SteamLibrarysteamappscommonGrand Theft Auto V)
- Press Continue, then press the Tools box in the top OpenIV taskbar
- Select ASI Manager and install ASI Loader and OpenIV.ASI. Select Yes when prompted
This process essentially gives players a place to upload and manage their GTA V mods. Players can open the OpenIV app at any time to check the status of their mods, uninstall them, or modify them. The next part of the process is finding physical mods to download.
- Visit GTA5-mods.com
- Choose a mod to download. You can select a certain category of mods from the top taskbar of the website and then sort from newest to most popular mods in that category.
- Once a mod has been selected, click on its box and then press the green Download button
- Some mods will download a .rar file to your browser while others will redirect you to a Github page with the latest version of the mod to download
- If a mod downloads as a .rar file, you will need another application to open it, such as 7-Zip File Manager, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store
- Once the .rar file opens, you will likely see a readme file that can be opened in Notepad. This will give you instructions on how to fully download the mod
- If a mod is on a Github page, download the latest version. This will download the mod as a zipped file, which you’ll need to extract to another location on your computer.
- Once the files are extracted, copy and paste the contents of the folder into the Mods folder in your computer’s GTA V game directory. This is the same directory you entered in the file path for the OpenIV application
- Launch GTA V once you have copied and pasted the contents of the file into the GTA V directory or followed the instructions for the .rar file
While this process covers general mods available for download, there are also mods that use scripting. This requires another mod, Script Hook, in order to work.
- Download Community Script Hook V .NET, by Alexander Blade
- Open the compressed file and extract the contents to another location on your computer
- Copy and paste the contents of the file into the game directory of GTA V, but do not place it in a certain folder
- Create a new folder in the game directory
- Go to GTA5-mods.com and select a script mod to download (these are usually tagged with .net)
- Open the zipped mod file and extract the contents again
- Copy and paste the contents of the file into the new folder in your GTA V directory
- Launch GTA V and be sure to follow the creator’s mod usage instructions, which can be found on the GTA5-mods.com page for the mod
Once all these steps are completed, players can start using mods freely in GTA V.
Best mods in GTA V
When looking for mods to download, the choices can be almost overwhelming. There are multiple categories and thousands of mods to choose from within each of these categories. While every gamer’s desires for their mod experience are different, we’ve compiled a list of the top five GTA V mods from 2022.
The first mod on the list is one that fits well with the recent release of GTA V on next-gen consoles. VisualV is a graphics mod that improves many textures in GTA V. The world of Los Santos looks amazingly realistic, with weather, draw distance, and many other graphical features all greatly improved. The one thing to remember with a mod like this is that it takes a powerful machine to run. Players with older PC hardware should be wary of what this mod might do to their in-game framerate.
Players can download VisualV from GTA5-mods.com.
Mod Thanos/Iron Man Mark V
We decided to combine two of the best Marvel mods for GTA V. The Thanos mod does exactly what it sounds like; players can roam the city of Los Santos as Thanos, the main villain of Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. As Thanos, players can jump extremely long distances, use the powers of the Infinity Gauntlet, and even shoot lasers from their eyes.
If players don’t want to play as the villain, they can download the Iron Man Mark V mod instead. This gives players the Iron Man armor, with the updated design and color scheme. The armor allows players to fly around the map like Iron Man and use multiple weapons, such as the Missile Launcher and Machine Gun.
Players can download the Thanos and Iron Man Mark V mod from GTA5-mods.com.
Pokemon Go GTA Edition
Combining the world of Pokémon and GTA seems too good to be true, but it isn’t, thanks to the Pokémon Go GTA Edition mod. This mod is precisely what players would imagine. Pokémon litter the streets of Los Santos and players can attempt to catch them using Poké Balls. Players are even decked out in the clothes Ash wears in the Pokémon anime. The Pokémon Go mod has most of the features players have known from the actual game, but combines a GTA twist with it.
Players can download the Pokémon Go mod from GTA5-mods.com.
LSPD’s first response
Players spend the majority of their time in Los Santos trying to avoid the cops. However, with the LSPDFR mod, players can be on the other side of the law. This mod allows players to step into the shoes of a police officer in Los Santos. Players have access to a weapon, a partner, and a fully interactive police station. With these tools, players can catch and arrest offenders.
Players can download LSPD First Response from LCDPDFR.com.
Mod GTA V REAL
The last mod on this list is something that not all players will be able to experience. The REAL VR mod allows players to don a virtual reality headset and enter the world of Los Santos with a true first-person view. Everything that can be done in GTA V’s base story mode can now be done with a VR headset. While the controls and viewing angles are a bit wonky, the overall experience is smooth and completely changes the way GTA V is played.
Players can download the GTA V REAL mod through the creator’s Github page.
GameSpot may earn a commission on retail offers.