Web Application Development Team Leader at AVBOB
AVBOB, AFRICA’S LARGEST MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY PROVIDING A UNIQUE FUNERAL AND BURIAL INSURANCE SOLUTION, HAS A VACANCY FOR: WEB APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT TEAM LEADER.
The position mentioned above is within the application development department. The Application Development Team Leader will be responsible for providing strategic technical direction and managing multiple technical teams responsible for the technical delivery of the full development cycle; all product functionality and support and maintenance related tasks for core applications. This role requires overseeing ongoing efforts to increase efficiency, optimization, innovation and people development in these environments.
- Lead a team of web developers while providing advice on technical issues.
- Design and develop front-end and back-end web architectures
- Maintenance and support of existing web and mobile applications
- Participate in the design and development of new systems throughout the project life cycle
- Help the team define and work from requirements and specifications to modify/enhance existing production software
- Development of new production software
- Monitor progress against agreed timelines, including collaboration with the project manager.
- Liaise with relevant internal departments or stakeholders that may impact the ability to deliver quality software in a timely manner to resolve any issues and meet delivery commitments.
- Manage the planning process to deduce delivery times.
- Effectively and comprehensively communicate a detailed understanding of the business expectations by the team, to the team, including third parties, as defined in the specifications throughout the SDLC.
- Team adherence to prescribed quality (as defined by IT standards and governance) during all phases of the SDLC (i.e. functional design, technical design, code reviews and testing integration, etc).
- Design, code, test, debug and document application features and changes
- Participate in activities that ensure the successful use of these systems
- Design, develop and implement development standards and architecture principles.
- Modify existing programs as part of software maintenance.
- Responsible for adoption and improvements in software integration and API management
- Monitor the ongoing performance of web applications
- Implement tools, routines, processes and metrics to monitor availability and performance against contractual SLA.
- Implementation of agreed security standards within the software solution.
- Overall responsibility to ensure regulatory requirements are met in accordance with agreed compliance standards.
- Provide documentation of enhancements and changes made as part of software maintenance/enhancements.
- Establish, manage and maintain productive and beneficial business and key third-party relationships.
- Responsible for empowering development team members to work across traditional organizational boundaries.
- Manage changing people challenges such as fluidity of resources, remote work, different development needs.
- Promote team collaboration and innovation, sharing of knowledge, tools, code and practices.
- Build and develop a culture of flexibility and acceptance of change within the software development environment.
- Create a collective of shared knowledge and expertise and common identity through teamwork and the sharing of experiences.
- Lead, manage and foster accountability and ownership among team members for personal development, including goal plans.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer science (ideally an honors degree).
- Certifications in Microsoft Web stack (MVC, C#, VB.net, razor, IIS, ASP.net, WCF/Web services, Web API, SOAP, REST, XML).
- Experience in [URL Removed] Microsoft SQL Server, T-SQL and SQL Server reporting frameworks and services.
- Experience in data architecture and database systems design.
- Experience with Agile Scrum and Waterfall SDLC methodologies.
- Experience in DevSecOps
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- 6 to 10 years of relevant experience as a web and mobile development team leader
- Lead and work in an Agile development environment
- Use technical skills to support and guide a technical team to prioritize and successfully manage deliverables
- Strong customer contact and technical resolution skills
- Able to positively influence peers across the organization
- Experience in all phases of system development and implementation (SDLC phases)
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Team spirit and customer service
- Using leadership to influence in other areas
- Write and update documentation, instructions and procedure guides
- Work with client(s) to fix errors and debug software and systems
- Solid knowledge of:
o Natural engineer
o Webmethods or Integration Server
o Online and batch processing
o Experience with JIRA, GIT and Microsoft TFS is helpful
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Must have good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Works on multiple apps.
- People management and development practices and principles.
- Stakeholder management.
- Develops innovative and creative production based on interpretation and analysis.
- Provides application-level design and documentation.
- Business analysis and design.
- Excellent communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Negotiation techniques
- Influencing Skills
- Quality assurance skills
- Minimum 10 years of experience in technology development and implementation – Natural
- Environment and application modernization
- web and mobile development